Wednesday, June 20, 2012

...in books

Author: Michelle Madow


Michelle is the author of the wonderful novels Rembrance (read my review here) and Vengeance (read my review here) and she agreed to doing an author interview for my blog.

When was the first time you saw yourself as a writer?
I've always loved to write -- in second grade I was always "that kid" who would write twelve page long stories on free write journal day and then share them with my class! In high school I journaled a lot, and then I started writing fan-fiction in my freshman and sophomore years of college. Then in my junior year of college I signed up for Intro to Creative Writing. I'd always had lots of original ideas, but never knew how to share them with people (or if people would even be interested in reading my ideas), so I figured the class could be fun. For the first homework assignment I turned in the first chapter of Remembrance. My teacher and classmates loved it, so from there I decided to turn it into a book!


Timeless will be released at the end of this year, right? Do you have plans for any new books?
I've actually written two other books besides the Transcend Time Series, both which are starts of their own series. In March I signed with agent Molly Ker Hawn from The Bent Agency on my most recent book, a fun contemporary YA. I'm currently working really hard on editing that book, so it's looking like Timeless will be coming out sometime in 2013.


What is your favorite book/what are your favorite books and who is your most favorite author?
I have so many favorite books that it's hard to choose! Some of my all-time favorites are the Harry Potter series, Divergent, Twilight, the Gone Series, the Iron Fey series, and the Vampire Academy series. I just started reading The Selection and am loving it as well. My favorite author is J.K. Rowling -- what she created with the world of Harry Potter amazes me.


What would you have become if you hadn’t become an author?
I was in college while I was writing Remembrance, so I was trying to figure that out. I was considering going into editing or publicity for YA novels.


Can you describe your daily writing routine a bit?
It all depends on which stage I'm in! When I write a book I do character bios first, then outline the whole story, then first draft, then editing. When I'm actually writing the first draft, I usually write in the afternoon and try to write 1,500 words a day. I wish I could do more than that, but I tend to feel "juiced out" after reaching 1,500 words and need a break by then. I've heard of authors writing first drafts in two weeks or a month, which I think is amazing, but I could never work like that. I'm all about keeping a steady pace.


I love to drink coffee. Do you have a favorite?
I drink coffee black. I love the coffee drinks at Starbucks (particularly vanilla lattes), but I'm lactose intolerant, so I can only drink them if I remember to bring lactase enzymes with me -- and I usually forget to put them in my bag!

Thank you so much for interviewing me! 

For more information about Michelle visit her Homepage, super cool Blog, her Facebook and Twitter pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment