Friday, April 19, 2013

...in books



Review
Emerald Green
by Kerstin Gier

!!If you haven’t read Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier this review might include spoilers!!
 
English cover
German cover













First sentence: (translated from German)
“This will leave an ugly scar”, the doctor said without lifting his head.

Summary:
Gwen has a destiny to fulfill, but no one will tell her what it is.
She’s only recently learned that she is the Ruby, the final member of the time-traveling Circle of Twelve, and since then nothing has been going right. She suspects the founder of the Circle, Count Saint-German, is up to something nefarious, but nobody will believe her. And she’s just learned that her charming time-traveling partner, Gideon, has probably been using her all along.

source: Goodreads

My opinion:
Emerald Green is the last book in the Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier and it is the perfect ending to an awesome series. I loved each and every one of the books but I am really hesitant when it comes to finishing series. It feels like saying goodbye to friends that accompanied me for a specific time of my life and that is usually hard for me.

Emerald Green, as Sapphire Blue did too, starts exactly where the second book in the series ended. Poor Gwen is heartbroken and still non the wiser how to solve the mysteries of the Count Saint-German and how to save the world or at least how to heal her broken heart.
With her loyal friends Lesley and Xemerius, a cute (don’t tell him I said that) gargoyle demon, she faces her destiny and Gideon and experiences many, sometimes rather confusing (for her), adventures and mysteries.

Gwen is still a though and strong heroine and Gideon switches between being lovely and charming and being a total idiot but to solve all the puzzles they come across during their time-travels they have to work together and trust each other.

Many mysteries are solved in this book and some of them make you gasp when you come across them. Emerald Green is an entertaining and quick read you’ll fly through, despite the almost 500 pages. I wasn’t able to put it down once and spent one whole Sunday on the couch reading.

If you love time-travel, strong characters, a fast paced story with lots of mysteries and clues interspersed than go pick up the Ruby Red trilogy because it is one of the best YA-series I came across and you just have to fall in love with the characters, especially with Xemerius the little gargoyle. If it would be possible I would love to have one myself.

The books in the Ruby Red trilogy are:
  • Ruby Red
  • Sapphire Blue
  • Emerald Green
 Emerald Green will be publish in English on October 8th, 2013

1 comment:

  1. I loved Emerald Green! You're right that it was the perfect ending to the series. I also really hate it when a series ends. It's so sad to see my friends go! Xemerius drove me crazy at first, but I grew to adore him. He is so funny! Great review!

    ReplyDelete