Thursday, October 24, 2013

...in books

Review
Is It Just Me?
by Miranda Hart

First sentence:
My Dear Reader Chum, a very hearty hello to you.

Summary:
Well hello to you dear browser. Now I have your attention it would be rude if I didn't tell you a little about my literary feast. So, here is the thing: is it just me or does anyone else find that adulthood offers no refuge from the unexpected horrors, peculiar lack of physical coordination and sometimes unexplained nudity, that accompanied childhood and adolescence?
Does everybody struggle with the hazards that accompany, say, sitting elegantly on a bar stool; using chopsticks; pretending to understand the bank crisis; pedicures - surely it's plain wrong for a stranger to fondle your feet? Or is it just me?
I am proud to say I have a wealth of awkward experiences - from school days to life as an office temp - and here I offer my 18-year-old self (and I hope you too dear reader) some much needed caution and guidance on how to navigate life's rocky path.
Because frankly where is the manual? The much needed manual to life. Well, fret not, for this is my attempt at one and let's call it, because it's fun, a Miran-ual. I thank you.

source: Goodreads

My opinion:
Have you guys heard of Miranda Hart?

Miranda is, in my opinion, Britain's best comedian. She is funny, witty, absolutely hilarious and the star of her own comedy show called Miranda. Now she has written a book too and if you know her from her show like I do and love it, you will love this book as well.

Is It Just Me? Is divided into 18 chapters with titles like “Life, eh...?”, “Christmas”, “Who's Top Dog?” and “Mothers and Children”. She is also talking about beauty, weddings, dreams, office life and so much more. While Miranda explains the world to us readers, or dear reader chums, as she calls us, little Miranda – her younger self – pops in from time to time to clarify things or to gather information about her future life.

I really like Miranda Hart's humor and her way of telling stories. Is It Just Me? Made me laugh out loud more than once. Since it is divided into little handy chapters, each telling its own story, I read it over the course of a month, always a chapter at a time. That's why I not only received weird looks on public transport in Vienna, I also woke up my mum when we were in London, sharing a room and once told a friend she has to wait until I finish the last two pages of this chapter before I was able to talk to her (rude, I know but the book was just so funny at that moment).

If you are looking for a highly entertaining book that will make you laugh so hard you should definitely pick up Miranda Hart's Is It Just Me?

For all those of you who don't know her TV-series Miranda; here's a little video:

For more information about Miranda Hart visit her Homepage, her Blog or Twitter page.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree - Miranda is one of my favourite British comedians - she's hilarious and it's so easy to relate to her funny situations!

    ReplyDelete