Friday, May 23, 2014

...in books



Review
Heat Wave
by Richard Castle


First sentences:
It was always the same for her when she arrived to meet the body.

Summary:
A New York real estate tycoon plunges to his death on a Manhattan sidewalk. A trophy wife with a past survives a narrow escape from a brazen attack. Mobsters and moguls with no shortage of reasons to kill trot out their alibis. And then, in the suffocating grip of a record heat wave, comes another shocking murder and a sharp turn in a tense journey into the dirty little secrets of the wealthy. Secrets that prove to be fatal. Secrets that lay hidden in the dark until one NYPD detective shines a light.
source: Goodreads

My opinion:
I am a huge fan of the TV-series Castle. I watch it religiously every Friday and when I catch a rerun the chances are high that I will watch it too even though I know the case already. I adore the characters of the series and I love the actors playing them.

When I first discovered the books in the Nikki Heat series, that Nathan Fillion’s character Richard Castle is writing in the TV-series, in a bookstore I just had to laugh and put it down again but I was drawn to them each and every time I saw them. Finally my mum got me the first two books for Christmas and after reading Heat Wave I can tell you that if you like reading mysteries, I would recommend checking it out.

The characters in Heat Wave are strongly based on the series characters in Castle and while I was reading them I saw the actors as the characters but I think this is not only understandable but also wanted.

The case I Heat Wave is the murder of a rich New York real estate tycoon and pretty similar to the cases in the TV-series. Rook is, like Richard Castle, interested in the case but cannot always be serious about it and brings new and interesting ways of seeing the events that could have happened while Nikki Heat is the (almost) always correct and straight-forward police officer who wants to bring the bad guys down and give certainty to the family members and friends left behind.

I really enjoyed reading Heat Wave and if you embrace the similarities between the books and the TV-series than the reading experience is much more entertaining.

The books in the Nikki Heat series are:
  • Heat Wave
  • Naked Heat
  • Heat Rises
  • Frozen Heat
  • Deadly Heat
  • Raging Heat (expected publication: September 2014)
For more information about Richard Castle visit his Homepage, Facebook or Twitter page.

No comments:

Post a Comment